Friday, July 3, 2009

Weekend Take-out from the Drive-thru

Recommended Toys and Tools:

* "The Flat Classroom Project is a global collaborative project that joins together middle and senior high school students. . . . .The Project uses Web 2.0 tools to make communication and interaction between students and teachers from all participating classrooms easier. The topics studied and discussed are real-world scenarios based on 'The World is Flat' by Thomas Friedman."

*"Ning offers an innovative and easy-to-use technology platform for people to join and create new social networks for their interests and passions and meet new people around the things they care about most about in their life."

*"yahoo_logo_may09.pngAdvanced Image Search allows users to filter search results by Creative Commons (CC) license. For now, this search only includes CC-licensed images from Flickr, Yahoo's own photo sharing service. The Yahoo Image Search interface actually turns out to be a very nice gateway to the CC-licensed image collection on Flickr, especially because the previews update immediately after you change a filter setting." (Written by Frederic Lardinois).

"bit.ly allows users to shorten, share, and track links (URLs). Reducing the URL length makes sharing easier. bit.ly can be accessed through our website, bookmarklets and a robust and open API. bit.ly is also integrated into several popular third-party tools such as Tweetdeck."

Scott McLeod offers 20 TED Talks podcasts for busy principals . . . . "These are the TED presentations that I think are most likely to interest, educate, and entertain administrators as well as make them think!"

-------------------------------------------
"Take Out" with generous permission of americanvirus

2 comments:

Rick said...

I've noticed you are a stickler for the "Creative Commons" license... what are your "rules of thumb" for your classroom productions? How should the CC license affect us normal(?) folk? How do you feel about the use of "Yahoo" and "Google" images for personal use?

Detroit Sports Dork said...

I love questions that make me think (hard).

Yes I am trying to use CC materials and promote them. I also seek permissions to use materials in my school products when I know the origin. Hopefully, the exceptions to this are covered by "fair use." I do this to A) set a good example to my students that people should be credited for their work. B) CC is the only system that makes sense to me. I try to provide attributions when possible.

As I mentioned in my 1/25/09 post, "I have have literally unlocked everything I have posted to Moodle . . . [My reason for sharing] is driven by my confidence that I possess a unique combination of knowledge and skills that make my teaching special, not the materials."

So I am a strong proponent of CC, but . . .I still frequently use images obtained through searches for personal use. It's irresistable and it's impossible to sort out what belongs to whom.

Copyright is completely unsuited to the digital times. Fair use policies are quite confusing. I was reading Stanford University's which goes into great detail and then in the end tells instructors that they might get sued anyway if the "owner" to the "rights" felt like it.

What a mess...But certainly something that teachers need to think through.

Blog Archive