Monday, February 22, 2010

Monday Musings at the Drive-thru

Monday Musings at the Drive-thru....

People still say things to me like, "This will make you happy - I'm not using paper for [such and such]." This is odd, since to my recollection I have never scolded other teachers not to use paper.

I subscribe to a weekend newspaper and a magazine simply so I can have full access to their online services. When the dead-trees arrive at my house they usually go straight to the recycling bin. This is a horrible business model, no?

Over the last year and a half, I have had more questions from other teachers about Google Docs than any other tech subject. Rather than highlighting how tricky Docs are, this testifies to their ease of use and classroom functionality-- folks are eager to adopt them.

Recently, I sent my Consumer Technology Revisits my Film Class to Netflix and the MHS English Department for comment. The comments? The deafening sounds of silence from both parties .

I have totally succumbed to one social media addiction-- tracking #mlb trade rumors on Twitter.

After maintaining this blog for almost a year and a half, have really come to appreciate the ability of bloggers like Tom Schusterbauer and Patrick Hayes to spark a discussion.

We had a staff appreciation dinner, last week, where I was honored for thirty-five years of service. I came away not only feeling appreciated for things that I have done in the past, but also how genuinely my school supports me as I try our this new tool and that new method. Despite complaints to the contrary MHS is still a place where teachers have considerable autonomy.

I've reached an age where now and then folks ask me about my "retirement plans." I have none. But, the other day I was thinking that if I did retire from teaching, I would enjoy creating a daily sports blog-- basketball or baseball. Lots of tweeting too!

It's become fairly common for peers to request tech consultation with me-- usually involving new projects. I really enjoy these collaboratio, but almost always have to schedule them before or after school. It's also tough to follow-up on the projects. I wish I had some release time to do more. That's my pre-retirement dream.

---------------------------------------------
"Ceiling Detail" Flickr Creative Commons photo courtesy of Onion.

1 comment:

WillKnott said...

As right as I know you are, and as much--believe it or not--as I praise your technological acumen and even brilliance, I think that, despite the helpful, clear, and non-threatening way you offer your help and ideas, I can see somewhat why other departments would be singing the sound of silence.

I know you didn't just develop your expertise effortlessly, but I think that so many others in your school just struggle with their fear of failure and with their fear that what they value in the classroom will somehow be lost.

I used to have those fears and doubts, but you have been more than convincing that technology truly can enrich education.

On the other hand, if I were still there, I would probably find myself always scrambling unsuccessfully to stay within shouting distance of your accomplishments.

I have no idea what Ed courses are doing at the college level--and cringe to think about it--but I do believe that what you are doing will not be common until those who will enter college in about 5-10 years become teachers and dive in with confidence.

Blog Archive